Jan 21, 2008

Thank you for your concern. Yes I am surviving...

I have been posed these questions many times recently. I guess it is because I have finally stopped saying I am unemployed. A typical conversation with a stranger or acquaintance goes like this:

Stranger: What do you do?
Me: I am self-employed.
Stranger: Oh! What do you do?
Me: I am selling jewelry on the Internet.
Stranger: *astonished look on face* You mean you can survive doing that? How much do you make a month?

I cannot say how boring and disgusting this typical conversation is to me now. First of all, it is impolite to ask how much someone makes. Secondly, it is rude to ask a stranger or acquaintance personal questions. Thirdly, it is really none of your business how my finances are. If you are one of those who asks personal questions like that, stop immediately! If you are not, good for you! Keep it that way.

There is really no need to be astonished that someone can survive by selling jewelry on the Internet. There is really life outside of the banking industry in Singapore, you know? *bats eyes*

(snip) *censored due to bad lauguage*

Now does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should reply when posed that question again? ;)

I make enough money, spend enough time with loved ones, and lead a real life. To me, that is all that matters.

With this, I end my major rant. Thank you for listening.

9 comments:

quirky lis said...

I thought I was the only few ranting away.

I may reply...
I am making enough (or more) than I was working as a HR Exec (they have to guess the salary of a HR Exec), suffice to pay bills, buy things, holidaying.. minus boring office hours, office politics, tyrant boss demands...

LOL.. take my words with a pinch of salt...

quirky lis said...

Oh oh.. I thought of another one...

Ask them this: 'So, just how much you are making each month, and I will tell you mine match up to yours'... LOL

Starry Designs said...

Hehe good ideas :p

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!! :)

diary of a cellist said...

That is annoying! Try "Yes I am one of the few that people really envy because I get to earn a comfortable living doing what I love most. It's sad that not many can say that. So how's life at your end?" :)

Starry Designs said...

Haha! That is a good one! Last night my friends working in banks were complaining about how much they hate their job and the politics. I started to really appreciate what I have. :D

msbelle said...

I have a good idea that you could say just about anything to these people and it wouldn't matter. They probably wouldn't believe you anyway. If you're not working for someone else, then to them it's probably not a real job. HA!

More power to you Cindy! Perhaps one of these days I'll get there too!

JewelRee said...

Hey Cindy!
I love this entry lol! =)

Belinda Lee said...

Cindy, this is not about money. Anybody who is artistic and creative KNOWS its not about the money. It really matters diddly squat what a person earns. I think we're above that. Its the small minds that think of $$$$ all the time. Its how well you lead your life, how much of an impression you make in the lives of other people that really matters. What we do on a professional basis is PRICELESS! Don't ever bother to ask them what they earn. Don't bring yourself down to that level!